Disaster Public Assistance Briefings Scheduled For 37 Arkansas Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 23, 2009
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Disaster officials announce a series of public assistance (PA) applicant briefings to help those affected by the severe storms and flooding that began on April 27 and continuing to apply for federal disaster recovery assistance. These meetings are open to representatives of local, county and state governments as well as qualified private non-profit (PNP) organizations. These meetings are not for individuals or business owners with damages from these storms.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's PA program provides federal funds to reimburse 75 percent of the costs for removing debris, conducting emergency activities and repairing levees, roads, bridges, utility and water control facilities, public buildings, and parks. The State of Arkansas and/or the applying agency will cover the remaining 25 per cent.

"It's important that applicants submit their Request for Public Assistance (RPA) documentation before July 16th in order to be eligible for disaster funding," said State Coordinating Officer Rich Griffin with the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management.  "Applicants need not worry about having everything connected to all losses in place.  Getting into the system and the process underway is what matters."

PNPs must have a tax-exempt ruling from the Internal Revenue Service; state certification as a PNP and a state tax ID number; a copy of their by-laws and/or charter and a PNP Facility questionnaire. This applies to educational, emergency, medical, rehabilitation, and temporary and permanent custodial care facilities (including those for senior citizens and those for individuals with disabilities). Also: museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, shelter workshops, homeless shelters, and any health and safety service of a governmental nature must comply.

Eligible PA applicants may attend any of the following briefings:

Bradley, Chicot, Cleveland, Drew and Lincoln counties
Tuesday, June 23 at 2:00 p.m.
Star City Civic Center
201 Liberty Street
Star City, AR

 Calhoun, Clark, Dallas, Nevada, Ouachita and Union counties
Wednesday, June 24 at 10:00 a.m.
Arkadelphia Recreation Center
2555 Twin Rivers Drive
Arkadelphia, AR

Hempstead, Howard, Lafayette, Little River, Miller, Pike and Polk counties
Wednesday, June 24 at 2:30 p.m.
Hope Community Center
Hope Fair Park
Hope, AR

Conway, Grant, Hot Spring, Jefferson, Perry and Saline counties
Thursday, June 25 at 10:00 a.m.
Faulkner County Natural Resource Center
110 South Amity Road
Conway, AR

Arkansas, Lee, Monroe, Phillips, Prairie, and St. Francis counties
Friday, June 26 at 10:00 a.m.
Phillips Community College, Bonner Center
1000 Campus Drive
Helena – West Helena, AR

Greene, Jackson and Poinsett counties
Monday, June 29 at 2:00 p.m.
Craighead County Courthouse, Annex Basement
511 Union                    
Jonesboro, AR

Fulton, Marion, Searcy and Stone counties
Tuesday, June 30 at 2:00 p.m.
Ozark Folk Center Auditorium
1032 Park Avenue
Mountain View, AR

Additional PA briefings may be scheduled. Anyone wanting to apply for assistance from the PA program should contact their county's emergency director.

The 37 Arkansas counties now eligible for PA are: Arkansas, Bradley, Calhoun, Chicot, Clark, Cleveland, Conway, Dallas, Drew, Fulton, Grant, Greene, Hempstead, Hot Spring, Howard, Jackson, Je...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top