Federal Public Assistance Authorized For 37 Arkansas Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 17, 2009
Release Number: 
1845-002

Little Rock, Ark.  -- Help is on the way for local and county governments in 37 Arkansas counties to address flood damages and losses that began on April 27 and continuing.  A Presidential declaration for public assistance was issued today to provide funding for damaged public facilities.  There is no declaration for losses to homeowners or renters.

Preliminary Damage Assessments (PDAs) conducted by federal, state and local officials determined that there was enough disaster-related damage and emergency expenses to warrant the disaster declaration.  Additional PDAs may be undertaken as more storm and flooding damages are reported by local and county officials.

For approved projects, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will pay 75 percent of the cost. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of the state and/or the applicant.

Projects may include debris removal, emergency protective costs and the repair or replacement of damaged public facilities which include roads and bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities. 

Private non-profit organizations that own or operate facilities that provide certain services of a governmental nature may also be eligible for public assistance.  These may include educational, emergency, medical and custodial care facilities.

The following  counties are now approved for Public Assistance: Arkansas, Bradley, Calhoun, Chicot, Clark, Cleveland, Conway, Dallas, Drew, Fulton, Grant, Greene, Hempstead, Hot Spring, Howard, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lee, Lincoln, Little River, Marion, Miller, Monroe, Nevada, Ouachita, Perry, Phillips, Pike, Poinsett, Polk, Prairie, St. Francis, Saline, Searcy, Stone and Union.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top