Five Florida Counties Get FEMA Public Assistance Aid

Main Content
Release date: 
June 4, 2009
Release Number: 
1840-008

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the state of Florida have announced the expansion of federal disaster assistance to five eastern and northern Florida counties for Public Assistance. This aid will pay for eligible emergency services and to repair or replace public facilities that were damaged by mid- May's severe storms, flooding, tornadoes and straight-line winds.

Governmental entities, municipal authorities, school districts and certain private non-profit organizations in Baker, Clay, Flagler, Putnam and Volusia counties are now eligible for Public Assistance.

Volusia County is the only county eligible for both Public Assistance and Individual Assistance, which helps residents with uninsured or underinsured disaster-related losses and damages. Homeowners, renters and businesses may also qualify for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Under the cost-share program, FEMA Public Assistance reimburses 75 percent of the cost for eligible work by state and local governments and certain non-profit organizations that provide public services. The state manages the grants for all projects. The remaining 25 percent comes from a cost-share agreement by state and local governments.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top