More Than $1.6 Million Approved For Public Assistance Losses

Main Content
Release date: 
May 8, 2009
Release Number: 
1828-009

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- More than $1.6 million in federal Public Assistance funds has been obligated for state and local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations, for costs resulting from the severe winter storms in late January, according to the Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security (IDHS) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

To date, $1,609,734 has been obligated to the state and 10 counties for Public Assistance projects in Indiana.

Obligations by county are: statewide agencies, $154,706; Clark, $129,507; Dubois, $122,096; Gibson, $256,144; Jackson, $77,759; Jefferson, $203,845; Ripley,$134,676; Spencer, $11,086; Switzerland, $71,380; Vanderburgh, $304,003; Warrick, $124,013; Washington, $20,520.

Additional funds will be allocated as project worksheets are completed.

"We want to help communities return to pre-disaster conditions by restoring vital services and infrastructure," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Regis Phelan. "This funding will help these Indiana communities restore services that affect their overall quality of life."

Public Assistance funding is available to cover the cost to repair or replace damaged public facilities, such as:

  • Public roads and bridges not on the Federal Aid System
  • Public water control facilities, including dams and drainage channels
  • Public utilities such as water treatment, sewage treatment and electrical systems
  • Public buildings such as police and fire stations, libraries and public office buildings, including their vehicles and contents and
  • Public parks and recreation facilities, including playgrounds, swimming pools, tennis courts, golf courses, ball fields and boat ramps.

Public Assistance also covers debris removal and disposal, and disaster-related emergency services that protect lives and public property from further damage, such as shelter operations and emergency-responder overtime.

Public Assistance grants reimburse eligible state, county and local governments and certain private nonprofits, such as educational and medical institutions, for repairs to infrastructure and emergency measures taken in the wake of a disaster declared by the President.

County and local governments in 21 Indiana counties are eligible for federal Public Assistance funds: Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Lawrence, Ohio, Orange, Perry, Posey, Ripley, Scott, Spencer, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick and Washington.

Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program, with FEMA funding 75 percent of the eligible expenses and state and local governments paying the remaining 25 percent.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: