Main Content

Here's How To Apply For Federal-State Storm Assistance

Release date: 
April 29, 2009
Release Number: 

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Federal and state disaster assistance is now available for people and businesses that need help recovering from uninsured or underinsured losses related to the storms, tornadoes, winds and flooding that began March 26.

Affected counties include Calhoun, Hamilton, Holmes, Jackson, Lafayette, Liberty, Madison, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Suwannee, Walton and Washington.

State-Federal recovery programs are designed to give storm survivors a helping hand in their effort to recover - not necessarily to return things to exactly as they existed prior to the storms.
Before assistance can be provided, people must apply with FEMA. Anyone who has suffered uninsured or underinsured storm-related losses should apply for assistance. It costs nothing to apply and takes only a few minutes, but the request for help must be made before a response can happen.

How do I apply for disaster help?

Those affected by the recent disaster may register online at any time and also check the status of their application at or call FEMA's toll free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for the hearing- or speech-impaired. Both numbers are operational between 7 a.m. - 1 a.m.EDT seven days a week until further notice. It will take about 15 minutes to complete the process. Before applicants call or go online, they should gather the following basic information to speed the process:

  • Social Security number;
  • Telephone number where he or she can be reached;
  • Address of the damaged property;
  • Current mailing address;
  • Brief description of disaster-related damages and losses;
  • Insurance information; and
  • Bank account address information.

Is there any cost associated with registering for disaster assistance?

No. There are no costs related to registering for or receiving federal disaster assistance. If anyone is
asked to pay for federal disaster assistance, contact the Department of Homeland Security, Office of Inspector General hotline at 800-323-8603.

What types of assistance can be provided?

The following list describes some of the types of assistance available to eligible applicants through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program (IHP):

  • Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time). Money is available for eligible applicants to rent a different place to live.
  • Repair - Money is available to eligible homeowners to repair damage from the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.
  • Replacement - Money is available to a homeowner to replace an uninsured home destroyed in the disaster.? The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing a destroyed home.
  • Other Needs - Money is available for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation, moving and storage, and other expenses.??
  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) - low-interest disaster loans are available for homeowners, renters, private non-profits and businesses of all sizes. Businesses of any size and non-profit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets.? The SBA also offers mitigation loans to disaster survivors based on 20 percent of the verified physical damage.? These funds are designed to help borrowers pay for protective measures to minimize damages of the same kind in the future.

Complete and return that SBA Loan Application

Temporary housing assistance from FEMA does no...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: