Main Content

Federal Disaster Aid To New York For 2008 Ice Storm Tops $800,000

Main Content
Release date: 
April 15, 2009
Release Number: 

ALBANY, N.Y. -- More than $878,000 in federal disaster aid is on its way to communities in nine New York counties that suffered damages from the December 2008 ice storm. This is the first round of funding announced, with more aid to follow as eligible projects receive approval.

On March 4, 2009, President Obama signed a major disaster declaration for New York. The declaration triggered the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance program, which funds 75 percent of eligible costs for government entities and certain private nonprofit organizations in the nine designated counties. New York State and applicants share the remaining 25 percent.

The federal funds cover emergency protective measures, such as debris removal and police and fire overtime and permanent work to repair damaged infrastructure.

*Total funding to date:

  • Albany County - $196,122
  • Columbia County - $20,252
  • Delaware County - $110,340
  • Greene County - $131,773
  • Rensselaer County - $42,939
  • Saratoga County - $162,747
  • Schenectady County - $88,646
  • Schoharie County - $82,472
  • Washington County - $43,546

"These federal disaster funds will help applicants in the nine New York counties recoup ice storm costs," said Federal Coordinating Officer Marianne C. Jackson.  

The New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO), headed by John R. Gibb, manages the Public Assistance program, working directly with applicants to help them submit claims.

 "Together with our federal partners, we are working hard to get these projects identified and the money approved and sent to the recovering counties," said Gibb.  

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top