FEMA Obligates Nearly $4 Million To Texas Southern University For Science Building And Auditorium Repairs

Main Content
Release date: 
April 2, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-460

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded $3,974,593 to the state of Texas for Texas Southern University in Houston for repairs to classrooms, hallways and an auditorium severely damaged by Hurricane Ike.

"By helping state institutions as well as local and state governments recover, federal disaster assistance has a positive impact on every individual in those communities," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

The federal government is reimbursing 75 percent of the cost of the repairs to 284 classrooms and hallways in the Science Building and for required work on Sawyer Auditorium. The remaining 25 percent of the nearly $5.3 million total repair cost is the non-federal share. Once FEMA forwards the funds to the state, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations performing the services, is the responsibility of the state. The obligated funds are a portion of $646 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"This is a vital step in helping Texas Southern University fully recover from Hurricane Ike," said State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun. "The repairs to Sawyer Auditorium are especially important because the facility is an historical landmark at TSU."

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program. For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top