FEMA Obligates More Than $15 Million To Sam Houston Electric Cooperative For Emergency Protective Measures And Repairs

Main Content
Release date: 
April 2, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-463

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded more than $15 million to the state of Texas for the Sam Houston Electric Cooperative for emergency protective measures and repairs after Hurricane Ike.

"The East Texas cooperative suffered widespread damage as a result of Hurricane Ike," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris. "The effort to get power restored to its customers as soon as possible after the storm was tremendous."

In support of that effort FEMA awarded $7,410,548 for the clearing of power lines, downed trees and broken limbs, and $6,610,084 for support of the crews that restored some 6,200 miles of distribution and transmission lines.

Because these costs were for emergency protective measures, the federal government is reimbursing 100 percent of the total.

In addition, FEMA is reimbursing 75 percent of the cost of work associated with collecting damaged poles, crossarms and hardware from 4,002 miles of feeder lines in Ike's aftermath. FEMA's share of the $2,348,647 project is $1,761,485. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal portion.

The total amount obligated to the Sam Houston Electric Cooperative for all the projects is $15,782,118.

Once FEMA forwards the funds to the state of Texas, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations performing the services, is the responsibility of the state. The obligated funds are a portion of $696 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"By helping local and state governments, Public Assistance has an impact on every individual in those communities," said State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program. For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top