FEMA Obligates $1.1 Million To Houston County Electric Cooperative For Repairs

Main Content
Release date: 
April 1, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-462

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded more than $1.1 million to the state of Texas for the Crockett-based Houston County Electric Cooperative for repair work after Hurricane Ike.

"This electric system suffered major damage as a result of Hurricane Ike," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris. "A tremendous effort was made to get power restored to the cooperative's customers after Ike hit."

In support of that effort FEMA awarded $1,113,874 for repairs of downed lines, replacement of downed poles and general restoration of the system to pre-disaster capacity and function. The federal government is reimbursing 75 percent of the total cost of the projects. The remaining 25 percent of the $1,485,165 total is the non-federal share.

Once FEMA forwards the funds to the state of Texas, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations performing the services, is the responsibility of the state. The obligated funds are a portion of $646 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"By helping local and state governments, Public Assistance has an impact on every individual in those communities," said State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program.  For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top