FEMA Obligates $1.1 Million To Texas A&M For Sheltering And Transportation

Main Content
Release date: 
March 31, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-457

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded $1,118,538 to the state of Texas for the Texas A&M University System to reimburse for sheltering and transportation costs during Hurricane Ike.

The federal government is reimbursing 75 percent of the transportation and sheltering cost of 1,676 student evacuees during a three-month period until they were able to return to Galveston. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal share.

Once FEMA forwards the funds to the state of Texas, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations performing the services, is the responsibility of the state.  The obligated funds are a portion of $646 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"It has been six months since Ike made landfall. FEMA is still working strong and plans to continue to be a moving force in recovery," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

"With these Public Assistance funds, FEMA plays a vital role in our state's recovery from Hurricane Ike damages," added State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program.  For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top