FEMA Obligates More Than $2.8 Million To Sabine Pass ISD For Gymnasium

Main Content
Release date: 
March 27, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-453

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded $2,874,221 to the state of Texas for the Sabine Pass Independent School District to replace the gymnasium severely damaged by Hurricane Ike.

The federal government is reimbursing 75 percent of the cost of the replacement structure that will be a 26,228-square-foot rigid steel frame building inclusive of required Americans with Disabilities Act improvements. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal share.

Once funds are forwarded to the state of Texas by FEMA, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations actually performing the services, is the responsibility of the state. The obligated funds are a portion of $637 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"After careful review by the district, state and FEMA, it was agreed to by all that the damages to the gymnasium were significant enough to reach the 50 percent damaged threshold," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

"With these Public Assistance funds, FEMA plays a vital role in our state's recovery from Hurricane Ike damages," added State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun. "It is great news for Jefferson County and its citizens. We will look forward in the future to hearing about outstanding activities in this new gym for the district's students."

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program.  For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top