FEMA Obligates More Than $26 Million for Debris Removal In Houston And To Repair Damage To Reliant Stadium Roof

Main Content
Release date: 
March 18, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-448

AUSTIN, Texas -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded more than $26 million to cover the removal of debris in Houston and for the replacement of storm-damaged panels of the retractable roof of Reliant Stadium following Hurricane Ike.

Through its Public Assistance program, FEMA is making available 100 percent of the $19,900,964 removal costs of the estimated 6 million cubic yards of debris on the streets, public rights of way and city facilities-as well as the $3,492,271 removal cost of more than 3 million cubic yards of vegetative debris caused by Hurricane Ike.

The federal government is reimbursing $2,684,462 or 75 percent of the Reliant Stadium roofing project cost. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal share. Once funds are forwarded to the state of Texas by FEMA, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations actually performing the services, is the responsibility of the state.

"It has been six months since Ike made landfall. FEMA is still going strong and plans to continue to be a moving force in recovery," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

"With these Public Assistance funds, FEMA plays a vital role in our state?s recovery from Hurricane Ike damages," added State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun.

The obligated funds are a portion of $602 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds provided to the state since September 2008.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program.? For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.? If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top