FEMA Obligates More Than $2.2 Million To City Of Liberty For Electric Distribution System Work

Main Content
Release date: 
March 18, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-445

AUSTIN, Texas - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded $2,297,909 to the state of Texas for the city of Liberty to reimburse for damages to the city?s electric distribution system that disrupted service as long as 14 days after Hurricane Ike.

The federal government is reimbursing 75 percent of the electric distribution system repair cost. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal share. Once funds are forwarded to the state of Texas by FEMA, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations actually performing the services, is the responsibility of the state. The obligated funds are a portion of $602 million in total Public Assistance disaster funds sent to the state since September 2008.

"It has been six months since Ike made landfall. FEMA is still going strong and plans to continue to be a moving force in recovery," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

"With these Public Assistance funds, FEMA plays a vital role in our state's recovery from Hurricane Ike damages," added State Coordinating Officer Joan Haun.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program. For more Public Assistance information by county, go to www.fema.gov/ike and click on the Disaster Statistics button.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.? If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top