Submit Request For Public Assistance Now

Main Content
Release date: 
March 13, 2009
Release Number: 
1828-003

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Southern Indiana state and local agencies and certain private non-profit organizations that are eligible for federal disaster assistance should not wait to apply.

Public Assistance (PA) funds for reimbursement or restoration are available in 15 southern Hoosier counties as part of a presidential disaster declaration following a severe winter storm that struck the state during the period of January 26-28, 2009.

These funds are for expenses or damage incurred during the disaster and cover eligible debris removal, emergency protective measures and repair or replacement of disaster-damaged public infrastructure.

The 15 counties eligible for public assistance are Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Orange, Perry, Spencer, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick and Washington Counties.

To apply, eligible agencies and organizations in these counties must first submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Indiana by Friday, April 3. 

State officials will conduct an electronic applicant briefing over the Internet on Tuesday, March 17. This briefing will explain application procedures. Eligible agencies and non-profit organizations should contact their local emergency managers for more information.

Private non-profit organizations wishing to apply for Public Assistance must also complete an additional qualifying form to determine eligibility.

Necessary forms can be found online at www.in.gov/dhs. Completed forms should be sent to cspencer@dhs.in.gov or faxed to FEMA/IDHS at 317-578-2447.

PA funds are made available on a cost sharing basis with FEMA paying 75 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent of costs are the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible non-profit organization.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: