Galveston ISD Gets Grant Funding For 44 Flooded School Buses

Main Content
Release date: 
February 6, 2009
Release Number: 
1791-394

AUSTIN, Texas -- Replacing Galveston school buses damaged by Hurricane Ike is one small part of a much larger Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) program designed to help eligible organizations and certain nonprofits recover.

Providing money and federal expertise to help get Texas back standing tall is a prime task.

FEMA has awarded more than $1 million in funding to the State of Texas for the replacement of 44 school buses owned by the Galveston Independent School District.

The federal government is making available 75 percent of the $1,404,155 project cost. The remaining 25 percent is the non-federal share. Once funds are forwarded to the State of Texas by FEMA, further management of the funds, including disbursement to organizations actually performing the services, is the responsibility of the state.

"It has been almost five months since Ike made landfall. FEMA is still working strong, still taking registrations and plans to continue to be a moving force in recovery," said Federal Coordinating Officer Brad Harris.

FEMA responds to all eligible requests for assistance through the Public Assistance program. For more information and an overview and outline of the funding process go to www.fema.gov/hazard/hurricane/2008/ike and click on How FEMA Helps, Public Assistance.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters. 

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top