Mississippi And Randolph Counties Eligible For Public Assistance For State And Local Infrastructure

Main Content
Release date: 
December 22, 2008
Release Number: 
1809-030

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Federal Public Assistance (PA) disaster funds are now available to help local governments in Mississippi and Randolph counties rebuild public property damaged by the severe storms, flooding and tornado during the period of Sept. 11-24.

The following 47 counties are already designated for Public Assistance: Adair, Audrain, Barry, Bollinger, Butler, Callaway, Cape Girardeau, Carter, Chariton, Christian, Clark, Crawford, Dent, Douglas, Dunklin, Howard, Howell, Knox, Lewis, Lincoln, Linn, Madison, Maries, Marion, Miller, New Madrid, Oregon, Ozark, Perry, Ralls, Ray, Reynolds, Ripley, Schuyler, Scotland, Scott, Shannon, Shelby, St. Genevieve, Stoddard, Stone, Sullivan, Taney, Texas, Wayne, Webster, and Wright.

Federal, state and local teams have been inspecting all disaster-related damage and examining emergency expenses identified by state or local representatives.  Their reports outline the scope of repair work needed and estimated restoration costs.

For approved projects, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will reimburse 75 percent of the eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of state and local government.  Projects may include debris removal, emergency-service costs, and repair or replacement of damaged public facilities.  The latter category includes eligible schools, libraries and other public buildings, and roads, bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities.

Qualified private non-profit organizations also may receive assistance to restore certain kinds of facilities.  These include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and others that provide essential governmental services.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top