Main Content

Two Weeks Left For Local Agencies To Apply For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
November 10, 2008
Release Number: 

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The deadline is nearing for State agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in 33 designated counties to apply for federal aid to help offset expenses related to emergency work from the September 14 severe wind storm.

Officials in the following designated counties: Ashland, Brown, Butler, Carroll, Champaign, Clark, Clermont, Clinton, Coshocton, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Greene, Guernsey, Hamilton, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Knox, Licking, Madison, Miami, Montgomery, Morrow, Perry, Pickaway, Preble, Shelby, Summit, Tuscarawas, Union and Warren have until November 24 to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form to the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Ohio EMA). 

President Bush's October 24 disaster declaration authorized federal assistance after the September 14 severe wind storm. Applicants must submit RPA forms within 30 days of the date of designation of the area.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Ohio EMA are partnering to help eligible applicants.

"We want to ensure that resources are allocated to every agency that is eligible," said State Coordinating Officer and Executive Director of the Ohio Emergency Management Agency Nancy Dragani. "State and local officials can speed up the recovery process by submitting their applications before the November 24 deadline."

FEMA's Public Assistance program pays 75 percent of eligible costs, and the applicant is responsible for the remaining 25 percent balance.     

To date, 578 state agencies, local governments and private nonprofits have submitted Requests for Public Assistance. For more information or questions on eligibility, contact your local County EMA director.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top