Harrison County To Receive $1 Million Federal Grant For Debris Removal

Main Content
Release date: 
October 31, 2008
Release Number: 
1794-036

LONG BEACH, Miss. -- Harrison County has been approved for a $1,053,506 federal grant to help pay the cost of removing and disposing of vegetative debris strewn by Hurricane Gustav along Harrison County's beachfront, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Mississippi Emergency Management Agency announced this week.

The grant, under FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) program, is to cover the eligible cost of removing an estimated 84,910 cubic yards of debris along the county-maintained beach. The grant will be on a cost-sharing basis with the federal share being 75 percent and the remaining 25 percent to be shared by the state and local governments. Total projected cost of the project is $1,404,675.

The debris will be hauled to Pecan Grove Landfill, Advance/Firetower Landfill and Coastal Recycling/Advance Landfill.

FEMA's PA program awards grants to assist the state, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations with their recovery from disasters. Specifically, PA provides assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent restoration of public infrastructure. The federal share of these expenses typically cannot be less that 75 percent of eligible costs.

FEMA obligates funding for these projects; however, the state administers the Public Assistance program. Following the state's review of the project and upon receipt of appropriate documentation, the state will provide funds to the county on a reimbursable basis.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top