$2.5 Million From FEMA To Restore "Key West Of The Midwest"

Main Content
Release date: 
October 30, 2008
Release Number: 
1800-023

CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that it has obligated $2.5 million to help repair last summer's flood damage to the nation's most popular inland waterway. Sometimes called "the Key West of the Midwest," the Illinois Fox River Chain O'Lakes has 15 lakes and 45 miles of river.  It has long been a favorite recreation destination for residents of Chicago, northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

The Fox Waterway Agency worked with FEMA to define 30 separate projects for funding.  Dredging and removal of silt will improve navigability of the waterways and open the state park marina. Other big projects include stabilizing and relocating five acres of bog that blocked the navigation channel and rebuilding an improved natural weir.

"Part of FEMA's mission in the event of a federally declared disaster is to help our state and local partners restore damaged recreational facilities that mean so much to the quality of life," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Libby Turner.  "This particular area has been one of the recreational treasures of the Midwest for generations and these grants should help it continue to be for generations to come."

Federal assistance for the restoration of the Illinois Fox River Chain O'Lakes is provided through FEMA's Public Assistance Program. The program funds 75 percent of the cost of eligible projects with state and local entities responsible for the remaining 25 percent. FEMA provides the grants to the state which administers the funds.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top