Main Content

8,000 Hoosiers Apply For Disaster Assistance From FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
September 29, 2008
Release Number: 

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Almost 8,000 Indiana residents whose homes or businesses were damaged in September storms have applied for disaster assistance, say state and federal officials. Applicants do not need to visit a recovery center or to stand in line to request help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).? One phone call starts the process.

Nearly 5,000 residents have sought information at five facilities operated by the State of Indiana and FEMA. Steve DeBlasio, head of FEMA recovery efforts in Indiana, said disaster recovery centers can serve you more quickly if you visit them after applying with FEMA.

"Some recovery centers have seen quite a lot of traffic, so we want Indiana residents to be aware that a 20-minute phone call to FEMA is all you need to request help with temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other programs," said DeBlasio. "After you apply, visit a disaster recovery center if you have questions about your application or about available services."?

The FEMA application number is 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). ?Residents with speech or hearing impairment can call TTY-1-800-462-7585.? ?Online application is also available at All phone lines and the Web site are free and available 24 hours daily, until further notice.

Homeowners, renters and business owners with property losses may be eligible for disaster assistance.? Hoosiers with storm damage in the following counties are encouraged to register with FEMA:? Harrison, Jefferson, Jennings, Lake, LaPorte and Porter.?

Additional counties and types of assistance may be added following further damage assessments.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top