ATLANTA, Ga. -- It's not too late to apply if you were among the thousands of Georgians affected by the May 11-12 tornadoes and storms. You have until midnight Tuesday, July 22, to register for federal disaster assistance, according to officials from the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
FEMA's toll-free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362), is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Those who are speech- or hearing-impaired should call TTY 800-462-7585. Applicants also can register anytime online at www.fema.gov until midnight July 22.
Tuesday also is the deadline for homeowners, renters and businesses of any size and nonprofit organizations to submit loan applications to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). For individuals and families, SBA loan applications are a key part of the FEMA disaster assistance process.
If you are a homeowner or renter, and SBA determines you can not afford a loan, you may be referred to FEMA for other eligible assistance. More information about SBA is available at www.sba.gov or by calling 800-659-2955.
As of July 17, disaster recovery assistance for individuals, families and businesses had reached $3,954,164. The following are the component figures:
- $1,992,664 under FEMA's Individuals & Households Program, including:
- $1,528,543 in housing assistance for eligible applicants to be used for temporary disaster housing or to help make disaster-damaged homes safe, sanitary and functional.
- $464,121 in Other Need Assistance (ONA) to replace personal property and to help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs.
- $1,961,500 in low-interest loans approved by the SBA, including:
- $1,688,000 for homeowners and renters
- $?? 273,500 for businesses, non-profits and economic injury loss
A county-by-county breakdown follows:
|County||Housing Assistance||Other Needs Assistance||Individuals & Household Program||SBA||TOTAL|
|Carroll||$? 170,671||$? 43,966||$?? 214,637||$?368,800||$?? 583,437|
|Douglas||$??? 22,926||$??? 2,962||$???? 25,888||$?89,000||$???? 14,888|
|Emanuel||$??? 19,553||$?????? 570||$???? 20,123||$? 40,400||$???? 60,523|
|Jefferson||$??? 51,627||$? 14,824||$???? 66,451||$?25,900||$???? 92,351|
|Jenkins||$? 152,466||$? 45,370||$?? 197,836||$?86,000||$?? 283,836|
|Johnson||$? 163,703||$? 31,481||$?? 195,184||$422,800||$?? 617,984|