Recent Storm Damage May Be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 11, 2008
Release Number: 

Madison, Wis. -- Damage from this week's storms might be covered under the federal disaster declaration issued on June 14, emergency officials said today.  President Bush issued the declaration for storms and flooding starting on June 5.

"The incident period remains open," said Dolph Diemont.  Diemont leads the federal side of the disaster response in his role as federal coordinating officer.  He explained the declaration covers eligible damage caused by the June 5 storms and anything that follows in affected counties, until the incident period closes. 

?"We've still got the incident period open.  People who suffered storm damage here since then should register.  If they've already registered, and their houses have been inspected, they should call the FEMA Helpline to report new damage," Diemont said.

Those with damages from any storms since June 5 who have yet to file an application for disaster assistance can do so by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (for the hearing or speech-impaired, 1-800-462-7585) from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily or register online at ?

"Eventually, we will have to close the incident period," State Coordinating Officer Johnnie Smith added.  "But for now, we're considering all these storms and the flooding they're causing to be one event."

The 30 Wisconsin counties now declared eligible for disaster assistance for damages caused by? severe storms, tornadoes and flooding since June 5 are: Adams, Calumet, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Fond du Lac, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, La Crosse, Manitowoc, Marquette, Milwaukee, Monroe, Ozaukee, Racine, Richland, Rock, Sauk, Sheboygan, Vernon, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha and Winnebago counties.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top