Public Assistance Authorized For 14 Wisconsin Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 27, 2008
Release Number: 
1768-034

MADISON, Wis. -- Federal Public Assistance disaster funds are now available to help local governments in 14 counties rebuild public property damaged by the recent severe storms, tornadoes, and floods that have ravaged Wisconsin since June 4.

Lafayette and Monroe counties are now approved for Public Assistance.  In addition, the following 12 counties already designated for Individual Assistance are now also approved for Public Assistance:. Adams, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Grant, Iowa, Milwaukee, Richland, Sauk, Vernon, and Winnebago.

Additional counties may be authorized for Public Assistance as damage assessments are completed and reviewed.

Federal, state and local teams have been inspecting all disaster-related damage and examining emergency expenses identified by state or local representatives.  Reports outline the scope of repair work needed and estimated restoration costs.

For approved projects, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will pay 75 percent of the cost. Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM) and the state or local organization applying for funding of a specific project will split the remaining 25 percent, each paying 12.5 percent. Projects may include debris removal, emergency-service costs, and repair or replacement of damaged public facilities.  The latter category includes eligible schools, libraries and other public buildings, and roads, bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities.

Qualified private non-profit organizations also may receive assistance to restore certain kinds of facilities.  These include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and others that provide essential governmental services.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top