Aid To Wisconsin Residents Passes $1 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
June 21, 2008
Release Number: 

MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin residents affected by recent severe storms, flooding and tornadoes already have received more than $1 million in FEMA grants for temporary housing and home repairs, state and federal officials announced today.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is processing requests from homeowners, renters and business owners for low-interest disaster-recovery loans. In the near future, another category of FEMA disaster aid, Other Needs Assistance (ONA), will help residents pay for such things as transportation, medical and dental expenses, moving and storage fees, and replacement or repair of personal property.

Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM) and FEMA report that so far 10,444 Wisconsin residents have registered for Individual Assistance in the 19 declared counties. Inspectors have assessed damages to 1,073 Wisconsin homes, and 686 individuals have visited Wisconsin Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs).

Homeowners, renters and business owners in Wisconsin counties that received a presidential disaster declaration for recent severe storms, flooding and tornadoes may register or update their information by calling a FEMA toll-free registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 for those with speech or hearing impairment. Residents can register online at Telephone numbers and online registration services are available 24 hours a day until further notice.

Those affected by storms and flooding can receive information about SBA disaster loans and obtain help with the application process by calling the SBA at 1-800-659-2955, visiting the SBA Web site at or talking with an SBA customer services representative at any DRC.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terrorism.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top