DENVER, Co. -- In the aftermath of the May 22 severe storms and tornadoes that ravaged Weld and Larimer counties, affected residents may now receive legal services. ?The Colorado Division of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will partner with the Colorado Bar Association, and the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division to provide free legal services to affected residents.? Participating lawyers typically provide the following services:
- Assistance with insurance claims (life, medical, property, etc.)
- Counseling on landlord/tenant problems
- Assistance with home repair contracts
- Assistance with consumer protection matters, remedies, and procedures
- Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in a major disaster
- Drafting powers of attorney
- Estate administration (insolvent estates)
- Preparation of guardianships and conservatorships
- Referring individuals to local and state agencies that may be of further assistance (e.g., consumer affairs)
Residents of Weld and Larimer counties with legal issues who have limited resources and were affected by the severe storms and tornadoes are eligible for disaster legal services whether the lack of resources existed prior to or resulted from the disaster.?
There is a toll free number, 1-877-222-9324, for affected residents to call and leave a message requesting services.? The messages will be picked up throughout the day. A legal volunteer will try to respond within 48 hours.
Individuals in Larimer and Weld counties can still register for disaster assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for those who have hearing or speech impairments. FEMA operators are available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week, until further notice.? Registration can also be completed online at www.fema.gov.
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.