June 19 FEMA Deadline For Fulton And Allen Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 5, 2008
Release Number: 
1740-036

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Eligible state and local agencies and certain private nonprofit-organizations located in Fulton and Allen counties have two more weeks to apply for federal disaster assistance.

Public Assistance (PA) funds are available in both counties as part of the presidential disaster declaration for flooding that occurred in the area from Jan. 7 - March 14.

PA is a federal program that helps state and local governments (and other eligible organizations) maintain infrastructure and public services after a disaster. Making sure a community can sustain the same level of services for its citizens is a vital part of recovery. These funds are for expenses or damages incurred during the disaster and cover items such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair or replacement of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and other facilities.

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) remind eligible agencies and organizations they must submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Indiana by June 19, 2008, if they wish to apply for PA. RPAs cannot be considered after the deadline date of June 19.

Applicants can get an RPA form from their county emergency manager. Completed forms should be faxed to State Public Assistance Officer Rosemary Petersen or Carmen Spencer at 1-765-447-0608.

PA funds are made available on a cost sharing basis with FEMA covering 75 percent of eligible expenditures. The remaining 25 percent of expenses are the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible non-profit organization.

A total of 15 counties are designated as eligible for public assistance in this disaster declaration, including; Allen, Benton, Carroll, Cass, Dekalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Jasper, Kosciusko, Marshall, Newton, Noble, Pulaski, Starke and White. Eligible agencies and organizations have 30 days from the date of their county?s designation to submit an RPA. As later additions to the list of those eligible, Fulton and Allen have a separate deadline from the other 13 counties where RPA submittal has already been completed.

Private non-profit organizations wishing to apply for PA must also complete an additional qualifying form to determine eligibility. The form can be found Online at www.in.gov/dhs. Once completed, the form should be faxed to FEMA/IDHS at 1-765-447-0608.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top