Three Counties Added To Ohio Snow Declaration

Main Content
Release date: 
June 4, 2008
Release Number: 
3286-014

COLUMBUS, OHIO -- Federal officials announced today that the counties of Licking, Madison and Marion have been added to the list of designated counties for the emergency declaration, following record or near-record snow on Mar. 7 - 9.

"State officials provided additional information that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) staff carefully reviewed," said Mike Smith, FEMA's federal coordinating officer for this declaration. "Now, federal funds are available to help these counties recover some of the expenses incurred."

The original 17 counties included in the April 24 emergency declaration are Ashtabula, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Crawford, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Greene, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Morrow, Richland, Union, and Wyandot. Officials from the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Ohio EMA) and FEMA will contact representatives of eligible local governments and non-profit organizations in Fayette, Highland, Licking, Madison, Marion, Pickaway, and Ross Counties next week to help them apply for federal disaster assistance.

The disaster aid will cover the use of equipment, contracts, and personnel overtime related to emergency services in dealing with the snow for a 48-hour period. These are the crucial hours when work crews clear snow from emergency routes and roads to critical facilities to permit the passage of emergency vehicles. Related emergency protective measures such as sanding and salting, search and rescue, shelter operations, and police and fire department response also may be eligible for reimbursement.

Federal assistance is provided on a cost-sharing basis covering 75 percent of eligible costs incurred snow removal and emergency protective measures taken in response to the storms. Local governments assume the remaining 25 percent share.

FEMA coordinates the Federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terrorism.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top