COLUMBUS, OHIO -- Federal officials have obligated $96,652 in snow removal costs to the Columbus City Schools for expenses incurred during the March 7-9 severe snow storm. The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance Program reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs and the applicants are responsible for the remaining 25 percent.
These funds are to cover costs expended for emergency protective measures utilized during the record snow storm in March. These included administrative costs of overtime man-hours, equipment usage and materials.
"This unified effort and quick response on the part of the State and FEMA team has resulted in getting the funds to those local government entities whose budgets were hit hard by the record snowfall," said Mike Smith, FEMA's federal coordinating officer for the declaration.
The seventeen counties included in the declaration are Ashtabula, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Crawford, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Greene, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Morrow, Richland, Union, and Wyandot. Under the declaration, affected local governments became eligible to apply for federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts for emergency protective measures, including snow removal assistance to save lives, to protect property and public health and safety over a continuous 48-hour period during or approximate to the Mar. 7-9 incident period.
Teams of federal project officers met with local officials representing 434 various local governments, state agencies and certain private non-profit organizations.
Disbursement of Federal Funds by the State of Ohio will be processed in the near future.
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.