Disaster Assistance Available For Tornado Damages

Main Content
Release date: 
May 27, 2008
Release Number: 

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and nonprofit organizations suffering damage from the severe storms and tornadoes of May 10-11 should register immediately to be considered for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Federal disaster aid has been made available in Missouri to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the tornado-stricken counties of Newton, Jasper and Barry, an area already hard-hit with severe flooding over the last two months.

Anyone who suffered damage from the May 10 tornado should call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or register online at www.fema.gov. The TTY number for the speech- or hearing-impaired is 1-800-462-7585. The lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central Daylight Time, seven days a week until further notice.

If you registered earlier this year for damages from flooding, and the tornado caused new damages to your property, you must register again for the new damages Register with FEMA even if you have insurance. FEMA does not duplicate insurance payments, but applicants who are under-insured may be reconsidered after claims have been settled.

Assistance to individuals could include grants to help pay for uninsured temporary housing needs, essential home repairs and/or other serious disaster-related expenses, such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs.

Registration with FEMA is required separately from registration with any other disaster relief organizations. Registrants with FEMA should provide their correct Social Security number and register under the name shown on their Social Security card.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top