COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Federal officials have obligated $17,076 in snow removal reimbursement funds for the Hardin County Engineering Office for expenses incurred during the March 7-9 severe snow storm. The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance Program pays 75 percent of eligible costs and the applicants are responsible for the remaining 25 percent.
These funds are a reimbursement for emergency protective measures utilized for snow removal: administrative costs for overtime man-hours, equipment usage and materials.
"This unified effort and quick response on the part of the FEMA and State team has resulted in getting the funds to those local government entities whose budgets were hit hard by the record snowfall," said Mike Smith, FEMA's federal coordinating officer for the declaration.
The seventeen counties included in the declaration are Ashtabula, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Crawford, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Greene, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Morrow, Richland, Union, and Wyandot. Under the declaration, affected local governments became eligible to apply for federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts for emergency protective measures, including snow removal assistance to save lives, to protect property and public health and safety over a continuous 48-hour period during or approximate to the Mar. 7-9 incident period.
Teams of federal project officers met with local officials representing 333 affected local governments, state agencies and certain private non-profit organizations to examine disaster-related damages and associated costs and to help applicants complete 420 project worksheets (PWs) so far.
Disbursement of Federal Funds by the State of Ohio is in process as of the date of this News Release.
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.