FEMA Damage Inspectors On The Job;

Main Content
Release date: 
May 22, 2008
Release Number: 

CLINTON, Miss. -- Inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are contacting hundreds of disaster applicants whose homes sustained damage from flooding beginning March 20. To date, inspectors have completed nearly 240 inspections.

The U. S. Small Business Administration and various insurance companies also have inspectors in the field.

"Inspectors are in the field evaluating applicant's flood damage and are finding people reluctant to begin cleanup until after the inspection is performed," said MEMA Director Mike Womack. "Applicants do not have to wait for an inspector before they begin cleaning up. All we ask is that they take pictures of the damaged property and provide an inventory. Waiting to do cleanup only serves to promote disease and further destruction."

Before an inspector is assigned to an applicant, homeowners and renters with uninsured or underinsured disaster-related damage must register with FEMA. They can register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TDD 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing- or speech-impaired and online at www.fema.gov. Multilingual assistance is available.

"The damage inspection is free and a FEMA inspector will contact an applicant by phone to schedule an appointment," said Michael L. Parker, FEMA federal coordinating officer.

Applicants should give clear, accurate directions to the damaged property, the street address and a current phone number. Post office boxes do not indicate locations. Owners and renters must show proof of occupancy such as a valid driver's license, and owners must show proof of ownership. Some documents will require signatures and the inspection process generally takes 30 to 40 minutes.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top