Two More Hoosier Counties Get FEMA Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 21, 2008
Release Number: 
1740-035

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Governor Mitch Daniels and officials from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have announced that Allen and Fulton counties are now eligible to apply for federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the wake of flooding that occurred earlier this year.

"Responding to, and recovering from, a disaster such as this winter's flooding is a very expensive proposition," said Joseph E. Wainscott, Jr., executive director of IDHS. "This assistance may prevent some agencies from going into the red."

"This type of assistance helps ensure a stable infrastructure," said Mike Smith, FEMA federal coordinating officer for the Indiana recovery. "Making sure an area can sustain the same level of government services for its citizens is a vital part of recovery." 

Public Assistance (PA) funds for reimbursement or restoration are now available in fifteen Indiana counties as part of a presidential disaster declaration for floods that occurred Jan. 7 - March 14. These funds are for expenses or damage incurred by state or local government agencies and certain private non-profit organizations during the disaster. The assistance covers items such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair or replacement of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and other facilities. 

PA funds are made available on a cost sharing basis with FEMA picking up 75 percent of the eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent are the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible non-profit organization.

To apply, eligible agencies and organizations in Allen and Fulton counties must first submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Indiana prior to close of business on June 19. (Eligible counties other than Allen and Fulton must still have their RPAs submitted by the original deadline of May 25.) Any agency or organization that may be eligible should contact their local emergency manager for more information.

The 15 counties eligible for public assistance are Allen, Benton, Carroll, Cass, Dekalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Jasper, Kosciusko, Marshall, Newton, Noble, Pulaski, Starke and White.

Private non-profit organizations wishing to apply for PA must complete an additional qualifying form to determine eligibility. The form can be found Online at www.in.gov/dhs. Once completed, the form should be faxed to FEMA/IDHS at 1-765-447-0608.

The main goal of FEMA's Public Assistance program is to restore facilities to pre-disaster levels. However, there are funds available that allow certain projects to be rebuilt to a higher standard if it can be demonstrated the increased costs will save money in the future. 

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top