May 24 Is The Deadline For Local Governments To Apply For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 21, 2008
Release Number: 
3286-004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- State agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in the 13 declared counties face deadlines to apply for federal aid to help offset expenses related to emergency work from the March 7-9 severe snow storm.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Ohio EMA) are partnering to help eligible applicants.

Officials in Ashtabula, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Crawford, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Greene, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Morrow, Richland, Union, and Wyandot counties have until May 24 to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form to Ohio EMA.

To date, nearly 400 state agencies, local governments and private nonprofits have submitted RPAs. For more information or questions on eligibility, contact your local County EMA director.

President Bush's April 24 disaster declaration authorized federal assistance after the Mar. 7- 9 severe snow storm.  Applicants must submit RPA forms within 30 days of the date of designation of the area.

"Federal and State Public Assistance Officers will be working with local officials in determining what expenses might be eligible for disaster reimbursement," said Federal Coordinating Officer Mike Smith. "We are teaming up to help the communities recover as quickly as possible."

FEMA's Public Assistance program reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining balance of 25 percent is the applicant's share.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top