Two Weeks Left For Local Governments To Apply For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 13, 2008
Release Number: 
3286-003

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The deadline is nearing to apply for federal aid to help offset expenses related to emergency work from the March 7-9 severe snow storm for State agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in the 17 designated counties.

Officials in the designated counties of Ashtabula, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Crawford, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Greene, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Morrow, Richland, Union, and Wyandot have until May 24 to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form to Ohio Emergency Management Agency(Ohio EMA).

President Bush's April 24 disaster declaration authorized federal assistance after the Mar. 7- 9 severe snow storm.  Applicants must submit RPA forms within 30 days of the date of designation of the area.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Ohio EMA are partnering to help eligible applicants.

"We want to ensure that resources are allocated to every agency that is eligible," said State Coordinating Officer and Executive Director of the Ohio Emergency Management Agency Nancy Dragani. "State and local officials can speed up the recovery process by submitting their applications before the deadline."

FEMA's Public Assistance program pays 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining balance of 25 percent is the applicant?s share.

To date, 300 state agencies, local governments and private nonprofits have submitted Requests for Public Assistance. For more information or questions on eligibility, contact your local County EMA director.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top