Registration with FEMA Begins Assistance Process

Main Content
Release date: 
May 10, 2008
Release Number: 

Augusta, Maine - Residents of Aroostook County who experienced flood damage need to register with FEMA to receive federal assistance, even if they have already called 211 or contacted the Red Cross. Those affected can apply at or by calling toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.

"Mainers helped us learn where assistance was needed by reporting damage to the 211 Call Center," said State Coordinating Officer Ginnie Ricker, of the Maine Emergency Management Agency. "But residents must now contact FEMA to receive the full complement of disaster aid."

When calling to apply or registering online have the following information available:
  • The address of the damaged dwelling
  • An address and phone number where you can currently be reached;
  • Your Social Security number;
  • Your insurance company or agent and your policy number;
  • Bank account information if you wish to receive your assistance via direct deposit.

"The registration process is quite simple and should take no more than thirty minutes," stated Federal Coordinating Officer Phil Parr of FEMA. "Within a few days following registration, a FEMA inspector will visit your home to document the damages. There is no charge for this inspection and FEMA officials always carry a photo ID, so don?t hesitate to ask for proof of identification."

FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate victims for their entire loss. For those with insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance. FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top