Ogle County Added To Snow Emergency Declaration

Main Content
Release date: 
May 2, 2008
Release Number: 
3283-004

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. -- Federal officials announced today that Ogle County has been added to the list of designated counties for the emergency declaration, following record or near-record snow on Feb. 5 and 6.

?State officials provided additional information that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) staff carefully reviewed,? said Larry Sommers, FEMA?s federal coordinating officer for this declaration. ?Now, federal funds are available to help this county recover some of the expenses it incurred.?

The original seven counties included in the March 13 emergency declaration are Boone, Carroll, Jo Daviess, Lake, McHenry, Stephenson and Winnebago.

Officials from the Illinois Emergency Management Agency and FEMA will contact representatives of eligible local governments and non-profit organizations in Ogle County next week to help them apply for federal disaster assistance.

The disaster aid will cover the use of equipment, contracts, and personnel overtime related to emergency services in dealing with the snow for a 48-hour period. These are the crucial hours when work crews clear snow from emergency routes and roads to critical facilities to permit the passage of emergency vehicles. Related emergency protective measures such as sanding and salting, search and rescue, shelter operations, and police and fire department response also may be eligible for reimbursement.

Federal assistance is provided on a cost-sharing basis covering 75 percent of eligible costs incurred for snow removal and emergency protective measures taken in response to the storms. Local governments assume the remaining 25 percent share.

FEMA coordinates the Federal government?s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terrorism.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top