Main Content

One Week Left To Apply For Disaster Assistance In Kentucky

Main Content
Release date: 
April 11, 2008
Release Number: 

ATLANTA, Ga. -- If you suffered damage during the severe weather that struck Kentucky Feb. 5-6, you?re down to just one week left to apply for federal disaster assistance.

There is help available for homeowners, renters and businesses in the counties of Allen, Bath, Christian, Fayette, Hardin, Harrison, Hart, Hopkins, Meade, Mercer, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Nicholas, Shelby, and Spencer, according to the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management (KYEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), but no new applications can be accepted after April 21.

"Sometimes people don?t register because they think their damage won?t be eligible, only to find out later that they would have gotten some help," said Commonwealth Coordinating Officer Charlie Winter. "Usually, this involves insurance, but there are many other ways it can happen as well."

"That?s why we encourage anyone in a declared county who suffered any damage to register," added Federal Coordinating Officer Michael Bolch. "But you have to do so by April 21 or you won?t be eligible even if you would have been."

Register for assistance online at or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. local time Monday through Friday. The TTY number is 800-462-7585 for those who are speech or hearing impaired.

Applicants who have registered can call the Helpline at the same number if they have any questions or additional information to provide.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, economic status or retaliation. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, you should call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or contact your State Office of Equal Rights. If suspicious of any abuse of FEMA programs, please contact the fraud hotline at 800-323-8603.

FEMA?s temporary housing assistance and grants for medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top