More Than $11 Million In Assistance Approved For Feb. 5 Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
March 28, 2008
Release Number: 
1744-056

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- State and federal assistance to individuals and public programs has climbed to more than $11 million for the tornadoes and severe storms that struck Arkansas Feb. 5, state and federal disaster-recovery officials said today.

Tuesday, April 8 is the last day individuals can apply for Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) assistance under the Feb. 7 presidential disaster declaration.

"Since the Feb. 7 federal disaster declaration, almost 1,700 people in the designated counties have registered for assistance," said State Coordinating Officer Richard Griffin for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM). 

"Don't put off registration any longer," said Federal Coordinating Officer Ken Riley of FEMA. "For those who have already applied, their cases will continue to be processed."

Following is a summary of state and federal disaster relief efforts through close of business March 27 reported by officials of ADEM, FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)

  • The SBA has approved almost $6.8 million in low-interest disaster loans to Arkansas residents and businesses. The SBA provides low-interest loans to homeowners, renters, non-profit organizations and businesses of all sizes that suffered damage from the Feb. 5 severe storms and tornadoes.
  • 1,693 individuals and households from the designated counties have applied for disaster aid. 
  • $2.8 million in Housing Assistance has been approved to cover rental assistance, temporary lodging and housing repair and replacement assistance.
  • $824,000 in Other Needs Assistance has been approved to cover personal property loss, medical costs and other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance.
  • 2,464 visits to Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) have been made by people affected by the disaster to meet with recovery experts.
  • 997 home inspections have been completed.
  • Public Assistance grants totaling almost $909,000 have been obligated to date in response to 43 Requests for Public Assistance (RPA's) from public entities (counties; cities; and private, non-profit organizations that provide essential public services).
  • 55 applications for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) have been received and initial funding of $13,800 has been requested by the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services (DWS).  The Arkansas DUA program, funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and administered by DWS, provides benefits from $128 to a maximum of $400 a week for up to 26 weeks for individuals unemployed as a direct result of the disaster.

Arkansans who live in Baxter, Conway, Izard, Marion, Pope, Randolph, Sharp, Stone, Union and Van Buren counties and suffered damage during last month's storms should call the FEMA registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for persons with special speech or hearing needs, and register for assistance as soon as possible.  Registration line hours are operational from 8 a.m.-6 p.m., CST, Monday-Friday. Applicants also can register online at any time at www.fema.gov.

FEMA coordinates the Federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terrorism.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: