Washington Disaster Aid Tops $72.5 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
March 18, 2008
Release Number: 
1734-071

Lacey, Wash. -- More than $72.5 million in disaster assistance has now been approved to help Washingtonians recover from the December 2007 storms, according to officials with Washington Emergency Management Division (WA-EMD), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

"Our goal is to help Washington families and communities recover as quickly as possible," said Federal Coordinating Officer Willie Nunn.

Individuals Assistance programs (IA) are to help individuals and families affected by the storms and flooding. Qualifying individuals may receive funds to cover disaster-related costs such as home repairs, temporary housing and personal property losses. Ten counties (listed below) were designated for IA.

SBA low-interest disaster loans are provided for individuals and businesses in counties designated for IA who qualify. SBA loans help homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property.

"Even though the application deadline has passed, we are providing ongoing services to those who are already registered," said State Coordinating Officer Kurt Hardin.

Public Assistance programs (PA) are for infrastructure to help State and local governments, federally recognized tribes, and non-profit agencies providing essential services. These entities can be reimbursed for disaster-related costs for emergency response, debris removal and repair to roads, utilities, public buildings, parks and facilities. Twelve counties (listed below) were designated for PA.

Under the presidential disaster declaration, FEMA's PA program pays 75 percent of eligible costs, while the state of Washington and the local applicants share the remaining 25 percent. So far, 1,320 Project Worksheets have been received. Of these, 909 have been obligated, or 60.2% of the total. The figures below represent the 75% federal share of the total project costs for that 60.2%. Work continues on these projects.

County HA ONA SBA PA
Clallam $219,359 $11,623 $251,400 $277,978
Grays Harbor $1,556,046 $234,918 $3,867,600 $2,326,407
Jefferson N/A N/A N/A $201,216
King $1,370,211 $160,353 $1,594,700 $1,845,386
Kitsap $1,401,024 $59,419 $1,255,500 $1,195,046
Lewis $9,583,635 $2,266,483 $19,615,500 $8,034,990
Mason $1,202,781 $58,506 $1,984,700 $1,997,304
Pacific $475,217 $49,697 $1,340,100 $231,576
Skagit N/A N/A N/A $21,050
Snohomish $494,205 $37,233 $724,700 $1,398,783
Thurston $726,581 $4,180 $823,400 $1,117,943
Wahkiakum $128,659 $28,531 $85,800 $160,561
Statewide (PA) N/A N/A N/A $2,104,756
TOTAL $17,157,718 $2,910,943 $31,543,400 $20,912,996

TOTAL of all Federal assistance to date: $72,525,057

NOTE:

HA = Housing Assistance
ONA = Other Needs Assistance
SBA = Small Business Administration disaster loans
PA = Public Assistance for state and local governments, tribes and non-profits (the 75% federal share of completed Project Worksheets)
N/A = These counties were not designated for Individual Assistance

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
March 7, 2013 - 13:14
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top