Main Content

Two Weeks Left to Apply for Oregon Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
January 24, 2008
Release Number: 

SALEM, Ore. -- February 7, 2008 is the final day for individuals, tribal governments and communities with damage resulting from the severe storms, wind, mudslides, landslides and flooding of December 1-17, 2007 to register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Individuals need to file for Individual Assistance in the six counties declared for individual assistance. ?Tribal governments and communities in the nine counties declared for Public Assistance need to file a Request for Public Assistance with FEMA's Public Assistance Grant Program.

"It is very important for those tribal governments and communities affected by the disaster to understand the importance of filing a Request for Public Assistance by February 7," said Glen R. Sachtleben, federal coordinating officer. ?"Filing a Request for Public Assistance is the first step in obtaining disaster assistance to repair public facilities." said Sachtleben

Oregonians who live in Clatsop, Columbia, Polk, Tillamook, Washington or Yamhill Counties who suffered damage during December 1-17, 2007 should call the FEMA registration line at 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for persons with special speech or hearing needs, and register for assistance by February 7, 2008. Registration line hours are from 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, Monday-Friday.? Applicants may also register any time online at .

"Anyone living in a county declared for Individual Assistance who was impacted by the storms should apply for assistance," said State Coordinating Officer Abby Kershaw.?? "Don't miss this deadline because you think your damage is too minor to worry about, or because you have insurance, or because you think someone else may need help more," she said.?? "What seems to be minor flood damage now could turn into mold or structural problems later." ?

The deadline for homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private non-profit organizations who suffered property damages from the storm to return their loan applications to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is also February 7.

Applicants for Individual Assistance should contact their insurance company and file necessary claims before contacting FEMA, as government assistance does not cover damage or losses already covered by private insurance.

Tribal governments and communities with damage to public infrastructure should contact their emergency manager to file a Request for Public Assistance.

SBA customer service representatives are at the Vernonia Disaster Recovery Center and at the Disaster Loan Outreach Center in Astoria to explain how SBA low-interest disaster loans can help residents and businesses pay for their disaster losses, according to SBA officials. SBA representatives are available to meet with applicants one-on-one and assist them in filling out their loan applications. ?For center locations, dates and times, or for anyone not able to visit a center, call SBA at 1-800-659-2955 or visit SBA's website at

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: