Main Content

ICC May Assist in Meeting Oregon Flood Codes

Release date: 
January 5, 2008
Release Number: 

SALEM, Ore. -- If a home or business was damaged by flooding during the severe storms, wind, mudslides, landslides and flooding of Dec. 1-17, the home or business owner may be required to meet certain community building requirements to reduce future flood damage before the home or business may be repaired or rebuilt.

To help cover the costs of meeting those requirements, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) managed National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) includes Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) coverage for all new and renewed Standard Flood Insurance Policies.

Federal Emergency Management Agency officials have been impressed by the recovery efforts undertaken by Oregonians.  "The people of this state just rolled up their sleeves, got right in there and started tearing out damage and fixing their houses," said FEMA's Glen R. Sachtleben, federal coordinating officer "For the first time in my experience, we actually had to send people out to ask the residents to slow down - they were at risk of missing out on ICC because they were moving too fast."

Flood insurance policyholders in high-risk areas, also known as special flood hazard areas, may qualify for up to $30,000 to help pay costs to bring their home or business into compliance with the community's floodplain ordinance.? All communities in Oregon that have a FEMA flood hazard map participate in the NFIP.

There are four options to comply with a community's floodplain management ordinance and help reduce future flood damage. The home or building owner, in consultation with local permitting officials, may decide which of these options is best.

The four options are:

  • Elevation. This raises your home or business to or above the flood elevation level adopted by your community.
  • Relocation. This moves your home or business out of harm's way.
  • Demolition. This tears down and removes flood-damaged buildings
  • Flood proofing. This option is available primarily for non-residential buildings. It involves making a building watertight through a combination of adjustments or additions of features to the building that reduces the potential for flood damage.?????

There are two instances when a claim for ICC coverage may be filed:

  • If a community determines a home or business is damaged by flood to the point repairs will cost 50 percent or more of the building's pre-damage market value. This is called substantial damage.
  • If a community has a repetitive loss provision in its floodplain management ordinance and determines the home or business was damaged by a flood two times in the past 10 years, where the cost of repairing the flood damage, on the average, equaled or exceeded 25 percent of its market value at the time of each flood. This is called repetitive damage. Additionally, there must have been flood insurance claim payments for each of the two flood losses.

An ICC claim is adjusted separately from the original flood damage claim filed under a Standard Flood Insurance Policy. An ICC claim may be filed only if a community determines a home or business has been substantially damaged or repetitively damaged by flooding. This determination is made when application is made for a building permit from the local jurisdiction to begin repairing a home or business.

If your community does determine a home or business is substantially or repetitively damaged, a local official will explain the floodplain management ordinance provisions the home or business owner will be required to meet.

Once a community has made this determination, contact the insurance company or agent who wrote t...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: