SALEM, Ore. -- More than $5.4 million in disaster assistance has been approved for Oregon, according to officials with Oregon Emergency Management (OEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Oregon businesses, families and individuals who suffered damages from the severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides Dec. 1-17 in disaster-declared counties are eligible to apply for disaster assistance. The counties of Clatsop, Columbia, Polk, Tillamook, Washington and Yamhill were declared for individual assistance.
Recovery Summary as of close of business Jan. 3, 2008:
- 2,725 individuals have registered for Individual Assistance;
- $4,421,763.80 in Individual Assistance has been approved;
- 1,411 home inspections have been completed;
- 2,165 individuals have visited the Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC);
- 1,436 individuals and businesses have registered in Clatsop County with FEMA;
- 738 individuals and businesses have registered in Columbia County with FEMA;
- 75 individuals and businesses have registered in Polk County with FEMA;
- 380 individuals and businesses have registered in Tillamook County with FEMA;
- 26 individuals and businesses have registered in Washington County with FEMA;
- 70 individuals and businesses have registered in Yamhill County with FEMA.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved $1 million in disaster loan assistance. The SBA is the primary source of federal funds for long-term disaster recovery for owners of private property, including homeowners, renters, non-farm businesses of all sizes and private non-profit organizations. These low-interest loans cover costs of repair or replacement of damaged real estate, personal property and business assets not fully covered by insurance or other aid, and for small businesses, such loans cover working capital needs caused by the disaster.
Homeowners, renters and business owners, who sustained damage from the severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides, may register or update their information by calling the FEMA tele-registration number 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech or hearing impaired or by registering online at www.fema.gov. To speak to a person face-to-face, disaster affected individuals may visit any DRC, but it is recommended to register by telephone or on-line prior to visiting the DRC.
The three Oregon DRC locations are:
Vernonia City Hall
1001 Bridge Street
Vernonia, OR 97064
Seaside Civic and Convention Center
415 1st Avenue
Seaside, OR 97138
Clatskanie Fire Station (closes at 6 p.m. Jan. 5)
280 SE Third St.
Clatskanie, OR 97016
FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.