Oregonians Urged To Check On Permits After Disaster

Main Content
Release date: 
December 29, 2007
Release Number: 

SALEM, Ore. -- Before considering new construction and repairs on property damaged by the severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides that occurred December 1-17, Oregon residents are urged to consult local building officials to obtain building and/or floodplain development permits.

Obtaining building permits is especially important for those with homes or businesses located within the 100-year floodplain, said officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Oregon Emergency Management:

  • Permits protect the residents, their families, communities, and buildings by ensuring all proposed work complies with current codes, standards, flood ordinances and construction techniques;

  • Permits can provide a permanent record of compliance with elevation, and/or retrofitting requirements, which is useful information when selling your home and necessary for the flood insurance rating;

  • Local permit offices can provide suggestions or literature on how to better protect your home or business from future disaster-related damages;

  • Local permit offices can provide consumers with information on selecting licensed
    contractors and advice on protecting themselves from unscrupulous contractors.

Residents are asked to start construction and repair only after they have received permits from their local building department:

  • The property owner or contractor is responsible for obtaining structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and manufactured dwelling setup permits;

  • For electrical work, Oregon law requires that if an electrical contractor performs the work, the contractor is responsible for obtaining the permit;

  • Oregon law requires plumbing permits for water heaters because of fire, electric shock or explosion safety hazards.

There may be some exceptions to permit requirements. Therefore, if there are any questions, information may be provided through the local building department, city hall, or the local structural, mechanical and plumbing inspector. 

The State of Oregon offers additional information at the offices listed below:

  • Construction Contractors Board (503) 378-4621
  • Better Business Bureau (503) 226-3981
  • Attorney General's Consumer Hotline toll-free (877) 877-9392

Information on the National Flood Insurance Program can be found by visiting www.fema.gov/business/nfip.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top