FEMA Inspectors Assessing Oregon Damage

Main Content
Release date: 
December 21, 2007
Release Number: 

SALEM, Ore. -- Inspectors and Community Relations teams from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are contacting Oregonians who have registered with FEMA for disaster assistance following the severe storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides of December 1-17.

If an applicant submits a disaster loan application to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), in most cases the SBA will also inspect the damaged property to determine the cost to repair or replace the damaged property.??

Insurance companies, municipalities and state agencies may also have inspectors in the field.

"We are working quickly to meet the needs of those affected by the disaster," said Glen R. Sachtleben, federal coordinating officer. "The FEMA inspector is there to document damage, not to determine whether an applicant is eligible for assistance."

Sachtleben said if homeowners have evacuated to another area and cannot return for the mandatory damage inspection, they can authorize a family member, friend or neighbor to be present.

"It is critical FEMA has current contact information and accurate directions so inspectors can reach each eligible applicant," said Sachtleben.

Before an inspector is assigned, homeowners or renters with disaster-related damage must register with FEMA. They can register by telephone at 1 -800-621-3362 (FEMA) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585 for those with special speech or hearing needs and on-line at www.fema.gov if access to the Internet is available. Multi-lingual assistance is available by telephone or on-line.

Important points about the inspection process:

  • Damage inspection is free.
  • A FEMA inspector will contact an applicant by phone to schedule an appointment.
  • An applicant should give clear, accurate directions to the damaged property, the street address and a current phone number.
  • A street address is required; post office boxes do not show locations.
  • An inspector will try three times to schedule a damage inspection appointment. After that, unnecessary delays may occur.
  • Owners and renters must show proof of occupancy such as a valid driver's license.
  • Owners must also show proof of ownership.

FEMA representatives and FEMA contractors carry photo identification. Residents should ask for photo identification from damage inspectors. FEMA ID includes the person's photo and name. The Department of Homeland Security's seal and the ID's expiration date are highly visible.

Official inspectors never ask for money. Remember to verify FEMA inspectors and contractors' identification.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top