FEMA May Cover Your Uninsured Damages

Main Content
Release date: 
December 10, 2007
Release Number: 

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. -- Even if you've already received an insurance settlement for damages sustained in the severe storms and flooding of Aug. 15-27, 2007, officials urge Lake County residents affected by the disaster to register with FEMA.

Many area residents were devastated to learn their losses, in some cases damage to basements, crawlspaces and their contents, were not covered by their homeowners insurance. These losses may be covered by federal and state disaster assistance under the recent presidential disaster declaration.

"Register, register, register - we can't stress that enough," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Donald Keldsen. "If you had damage in the storm you absolutely should apply for assistance with FEMA."

"Many disaster victims may be eligible to recoup losses not covered by insurance or other programs," said State Coordinating Officer J. Eric Dietz. "We won't know until they go through the FEMA registration process."

Those affected by the disaster should apply for assistance immediately by calling, toll-free, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, until further notice. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.? Registration can also be done online at www.fema.gov.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top