Briefings For Local Officials On Infrastructure Assistance Set For Three Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
October 26, 2007
Release Number: 
1729-023

ROCKFORD, Ill. -- Briefings for local officials in Cook, Knox and Warren Counties have been scheduled for Oct. 29- 31 to explain the process of applying for federal disaster assistance, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA).

The Cook County North briefing will be on Monday, Oct. 29, at 2 p.m. in the Des Plaines Public Library, Meeting Rooms B & C, 1501 Ellinwood Ave., Des Plaines, IL. The briefing for Cook County South will be Tuesday, Oct. 30, at 10 a. m., Kindig Performing Arts Center, South Suburban Community College, 15800 State Street, South Holland, IL. The final briefing for Knox and Warren Counties will be on Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 1 p.m. in the Lake Storey Pavilion, 1572 Mechan Dr., Galesburg, IL. The briefings will provide information about FEMA Public Assistance grants for debris removal, emergency protective measures and the repair, restoration or replacement of public facilities damaged in the wake of storms and flooding that occurred August 20-31.

These meetings do not address disaster assistance programs for individuals and families. Residents who have questions about assistance programs should call FEMA's toll-free application number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for those with hearing or speech impairment.

The six Illinois counties eligible for Public Assistance are Cook, DeKalb, Kane, Knox, LaSalle and Warren. With the approval of Public Assistance in these counties, local governments are eligible to apply for federal assistance which will fund 75 percent of the approved costs for emergency work or permanent work to damaged public facilities. The local community will provide the remaining 25 percent.

Government entities eligible to participate include state government agencies, local governments and tribal governments. Disaster assistance may also be provided to repair, restore or replace facilities owned by certain private-non-profit essential governmental service facilities.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top