Main Content

SBA Disaster Loans Can Include Money For Mitigation

Release date: 
October 25, 2007
Release Number: 

ROCHESTER, Minn. -- The U. S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) want you to know if your property was damaged in the August flooding, not only is money available for you to make repairs to your home or business, but additional funds may be available to build it back more resistant to future disasters of the same kind.

According to Frank Skaggs, director of SBA Field Operations Center East, "An important part of any disaster victim's recovery efforts should include a plan to prevent future damages from occurring." To help victims fund protective measures, borrowers may request an increase of up to 20 percent of their approved physical loan amount to help pay for their mitigation measures.

What steps can I take to protect my home from flooding?

In the case of flooding, mitigation efforts do not have to be complicated or costly. They can be as simple as making sure gutters are clean and water drainage is directed away from a building's foundation, to installing an auto-start generator so your sump pump continues to run if you lose power. Appliances, water heaters, furnaces and fuel tanks can be raised and anchored to keep them from being damaged by water in the basement. And, storing personal items on shelves and not on basement floors can prevent the loss of family treasures.

For more information on mitigation measures, go to

Borrowers interested in requesting hazard mitigation funds are asked to submit a proposal that describes the mitigation measure to be installed along with a cost estimate of the project. Proposals will be reviewed on a case by case basis. The SBA will make every attempt to approve the additional funding, subject to the administrative limits.

Examples of mitigation measures for flooding and erosion include grading or contouring of land, relocating or elevating utilities or mechanical equipment, building retaining walls, seawalls, or installing sewer backflow valves

Mitigation proposals should be mailed to the U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX. 76155.

For more information on SBA disaster loans go to or visit one of the SBA's Disaster Loan Outreach Centers. The centers are located at:

Fillmore County
TRW West Automotive Building
901 Home St.
Rushford, MN
M-F: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Olmsted County
Rochester Community and Technical College
Heintz Building A ? Room 112
1926 Collegeview Road SE
Rochester, MN 55904
M-F: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Winona County
J.C. Penney Building
1858 W. Service Drive (Hwy 61 & Hwy 14)
Winona, MN
M-F: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Those unable to visit one of the centers may obtain an application by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or 800-877-8339 for the hearing- or speech-impaired Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. CDT.

To be eligible for SBA Disaster Loans, you must first register for FEMA assistance. You may do so by calling 800- 621-FEMA (3362) or register online at The filing deadline for both is Nov. 14.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: