Two Weeks Left To Register For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 15, 2007
Release Number: 

WACO, Texas -- Texans affected by the June 16-August 3 severe storms, tornadoes and flooding have only two weeks left to register for disaster assistance. The registration deadline is October 29, 2007, officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) reminded residents today.

Applicants are urged to register for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. any day of the week. The TTY number is 1-800-462-7585 for those who are speech or hearing impaired. Applicants also can register online at

Applicants who have already registered and received an SBA loan application are strongly encouraged to complete and return their application, even if they do not want a loan.  In most cases, if an applicant does not qualify for an SBA loan, their assistance request is forwarded to FEMA for further review of any unmet needs.  

The SBA is the primary source of federal funds for long-term disaster recovery for homeowners, renters, non-farm businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations. In fact, the majority of SBA disaster loans are made to homeowners and renters. 

SBA loans cover costs of repair or replacement of damaged real estate, personal property and business assets not fully covered by insurance or other aid.  The deadline for small businesses to apply for SBA's Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) is March 31, 2008.  Economic injury loans can cover working capital needs caused by the disaster. 

For information about SBA's disaster loan assistance, call the SBA toll-free at (800) 659-2955 or visit SBA's website at  Hearing impaired individuals may call toll-free (800) 877-8339

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top