Federal Disaster Aid to New Hampshire Closing in on $30 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
September 13, 2007
Release Number: 
1695-037

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- Quickly administering aid to 10 affected New Hampshire counties, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) have obligated more than $27.9 million in disaster aid following the April nor'easter. These grants and loans continue to help individuals and communities recover from storm related damage.

"This progression of federal aid enables residents and communities to rebuild in a logical transition from disaster-to-recovery," said Albert L. Lewis, federal coordinating officer in charge of New Hampshire recovery operations.

More than $19 million in Public Assistance (PA) funding is now obligated to fund more than 1,800 projects declared eligible for assistance on April 27. For projects that are approved, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost and the state will reimburse the remaining 25 percent. These projects typically include debris removal, emergency services related to the flooding and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities. The latter category includes schools, libraries and other public buildings, repairing roads, bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities.

The following is a summary of recovery activities as of Thursday, September 13, 2007 from the New Hampshire Office of Emergency Management, FEMA and the SBA are:

  • 2,005 homeowners and renters registered for assistance.
  • FEMA's Individuals and Household Program grants total $3,315,216. This assistance covers temporary disaster housing assistance; repairing disaster-damaged homes to a safe, sanitary, and functional condition, and grants for disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
  • Applicant visits to Disaster Recovery Centers totaled 727.
  • $5,515,700 in SBA low-interest disaster loans have been approved for 135 homeowners, renters, and business owners.

Although the registration period has ended, individuals who have applied for assistance and have additional questions may visit www.fema.gov/assistance or call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the speech- or hearing-impaired. Helpline hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1-800-659-2955 from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, or 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top