Federal Disaster Aid for Maine Tops $22 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
September 13, 2007
Release Number: 
1691-031

AUGUSTA, Maine -- More than $22 million in assistance has been approved to date by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). These agencies continue to assist the residents and communities in the state of Maine affected by the severe storms and flooding that activated two major disaster declarations in April. These grants and loans help residents and communities bear the financial burdens imposed by the storms' extensive damage.

In late spring, two flooding disasters prompted immediate federal assistance for residents and communities in the state of Maine: one for severe storms and flooding in mid-March, and one for the Patriot's Day nor'easter. As a result of the March event, FEMA Public Assistance (PA) has obligated over $1,234,241 for 235 projects in Hancock, Knox, Lincoln, and Waldo counties for damages. So far, damage resulting from the nor'easter has obligated over $16.2 million for 1600 projects in 13 counties.

For projects that are approved, FEMA's PA Program will pay 75 percent of the cost and the state will reimburse the remaining 25 percent. These projects typically include debris removal, emergency services related to the flooding and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities. The latter category includes schools, libraries and other public buildings, repairing roads, bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities.

As of Thursday morning, September 13, 2007, recovery activities from MEMA, FEMA and SBA are:

  • 2,746 homeowners and renters registered for assistance.
  • FEMA's Individuals and Household Program grants total $1,898,380. This assistance covers temporary disaster housing assistance, repairing disaster-damaged homes to safe, sanitary, and functional conditions, and grants for disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
  • Applicant visits to Disaster Recovery Centers totaled 779.
  • $3,655,800 in SBA low-interest disaster loans have been approved for 150 homeowners, renters, and business owners.

Although the registration period has ended, individuals who have applied for assistance and have additional questions may visit www.fema.gov/assistance or call the toll-free FEMA Helpline 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the speech- or hearing-impaired. For questions regarding SBA disaster loans, call 1800-659-2955 from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., weekdays, or 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top